We regularly review the Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rules 2015 and the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation. This ensures they remain contemporary and promote improved transport productivity and safety outcomes.
Have your say
About this amendment package
Proposed amendments to the Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rules (ALVSRs) and the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation were developed together and seek to better align these instruments with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs), clarify requirements and terminology and introduce safety improvements. Specific amendments include:
- Allowing a heavy vehicle to be fitted with a Blind Spot Information System or an Indirect Vision Device without infringing prescribed heavy vehicle width and length requirements.
- Updating terminology to align with revised standards and to enhance protection of road infrastructure.
- Clarifying the exemption from compliance with ALVSRs in particular circumstances.
- Clarifying the application of omitted ADR requirements about motor bike handlebars.
- Other technical clarifications.
In November 2019, the Transport and Infrastructure Council approved changes to the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulations and the Australian Light Vehicle Standards.
The Transport and Infrastructure Council did not approve all proposed amendments. The 2019 explanation of proposed amendments report should be read together with the published Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rules Amendment (Miscellaneous) 2019 and the Heavy Vehicle National Legislation Amendment Regulation 2020, which reflect the amendments approved by transport ministers.