We regularly review the Australian Road Rules (ARRs) to ensure they remain relevant and in line with agreed policy to improve road safety and transport productivity outcomes.
The Transport and Infrastructure Council approved the 13th amendment package in November 2019. The updated rules:
- Create an offence for a driver to interrupt a funeral procession.
- Insert technology neutral terminology about payment of parking fees.
- Provide model rules about the use of ‘Bus Only’ lanes.
- Provide model rules and signage about parking of electric vehicles, including when being charged.
- Clarify rules about motorcyclists with respect to signalling a change of direction and removal of feet from footrests.
The updates apply to the Australian Road Rules model law. States and territories need to update their own laws for these changes to take effect.
We are working with states and territories to implement the changes into local laws. The 14th amendment package is scheduled for consideration by transport ministers in November 2021.