Review of the Heavy Vehicle National Law
In May 2018 transport ministers agreed to bring forward an NTC-led review of the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL).
Since June, the NTC project team has met with government and industry stakeholders around Australia to develop the terms of reference for the review.
Feedback from these meetings confirmed a number of priority areas:
- safe and efficient heavy vehicle access
- a risk-based approach to regulating fatigue
- an improved accreditation framework
- the increasing use of technology and data for regulatory purposes.
- May – December 2018: Develop terms of reference for approval, establish expert reference panel, establish working groups for each priority area
- November 2018 – November 2019: Consultation and review (policy agreement)
- November 2019 – November 2020: Drafting legislation
- November 2018: Terms of reference presented to the Transport and Infrastructure Council for approval
- Media release: Heavy Vehicle National Law to go back to basics
- Speech: NTC Chief Executive presents on the HVNL review at the NatRoad conference (31 August 2018)