National Driver Licensing Scheme policy: past reviews & amendments
As part of our responsibility to maintain nationally consistent regulatory reforms the NTC, in conjunction with States and Territories, developed legislation and Administrative Guidelines for the National Driver Licensing Scheme (NDLS). A maintenance programme is in place to monitor and maintain the reform.
The aim of Administrative Guidelines is to ensure that, as far as practicable, national road transport reforms are implemented consistently across varying local conditions and by different administrators, and their need was recognised during the development of the NDLS.
The NTC proposed amendments to the Supporting Principles of the National Driver Licensing Scheme for approval of the Transport and Infrastructure Council in August 2008.
- 4th Draft Model Amendments to the National Driver Licensing Scheme (Supporting Principles) Package No.1 (53 KB)
- Administrative Guideline - National Driver Licensing & Heavy Vehicle Registration Schemes - Jan 2006 (794 KB)
- Administrative Guideline – National Driver Licensing Scheme, January 2000 (163 KB)
- The Implementation of the National Driver Licensing Scheme Policy - June 2005 (393 KB)
- Review of the National Heavy Vehicle Registration Scheme and the National Driver Licensing Scheme - August 2006 (391 KB)
- Interim Administrative Guideline: Minimum Evidence of Identity Requirements (154 KB)